Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Jamaica Cupcakes - Ha-my- ka



After a bit of a baking hiatus, it felt great to get back in the kitchen. Honestly, I don't think there is a better smell then cake when it is almost done along with the sweet scent of frosting. YUM!

The other day I went to lunch with my mom and had some Jamaica or hibiscus juice. I usually love this stuff with my tacos, but this particular one was so strong and potent that I could barely take it. While yummy, it was too concentrated. And suddenly right then and there, in the middle of st Reuben's taco stand, I had a spurt of inspiration and suddenly shot me up. Jamaica cupcakes!

Now, while I didn't know at that moment how I would use it, I knew I wanted to marry my two cultures. Could there really be a Mexican cupcake??

The Mexican cupcake dream didn't exactly turn out, but quite a tasty Jamaica frosting or glaseado, as said in spanish, did.

Jamaica Frosting or Hibiscus Fluffy Glaseado

1 cup Shortening
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup Jamaica juice
dash of salt
1 lb powder sugar
2 tblspn raspberry liquor (optional)

Cream Shortening, cream cheese, and Jamaica juice until smooth. Slowly add sifted sugar and mix until smooth. Add dash of salt and raspberry liquor. Mix until light and fluffy in texture.


No comments: